6% of adults aged 60 and older utilize public transportation. When we look at the data by race and income, we see significantly higher percentages of African Americans and low-income groups utilizing public transportation compared to the White population and other income groups, respectively.
8% of adults aged 60 and older are experiencing transportation insufficiency, reporting that they are sometimes or never able to get to the places they need to go. When we look at the data by race and income, we see higher percentages of African Americans and low and mid-income groups experiencing transportation insufficiency compared to the White population and the highest income group, respectively.
What is your perception of public transportation?
- Not convenient
- Long wait times
- No night or rural service available
- Uber or senior-specific transportation would be helpful
- Affordability is an issue
- Lack of awareness and education surrounding transportation system
- Many do not know how to use public transportation
- Demand for transportation is higher than supply
- Must plan in advance if using public transportation